Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 18:04:31 -0400

> I don't understand this logic. If most (although not all) of the
> information in copyright.list can be gleaned from running git log, or
> looking at AUTHORS,

The official list is not specific to Emacs, includes real names (for
people who are otherwise only known via pseudonyms), birthdates,
countries, and other such info.
so it's quite different from the info you can get from Git.

> where is the privacy issue?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I'd also like to know since without with
info it's hard to figure out what could be done.

E.g. would it OK if I filtered the list to only include paperwork that
covers contributions to Emacs and that only includes the names and
email addresses?
I think it would satisfy your use case, but would it be acceptable in
terms of privacy?  I don't know!

> What not ask everyone when they submit their papers, if they are happy
> to be public, along with a list of their commonly used aliases, emails
> and so forth?

That would be great.  Note that we (maintainers) don't have any direct
involvement in this, sadly.  The list is maintained by the FSF's
"clerk", so we should move this conversation there.

> Put this information up on the web, along with a RESTful API.
> Add some command line tools, so that people can add it to the
> CI tooling.

Even better, yes,

        Stefan