Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 14:38:55 +0200

(snipped CC list -- I think most are on -devel anyway)

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:51:08AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

[...]

> > Yes, and given we can make aliases to the old names we don't break
> > backward compatibility, and we can reasonably easily write something
> > that converts existing code to the new names, and eventually deprecate
> > the old names :-)
>
> That looks strongly to me about replacements.  And note you used the verb
> form "can" rather than the more gentle, conditional form "could".

That's it. Although my feeling is that your (Alan) reaction was too
sharp, I also feel that you, Philippe, disregard the cultural aspects
of your proposal -- your approach "hey, let's deprecate this-and-that"
is bound to ruffle some feathers and even hurt some people.

And when people react ("hell, no!"), you're offended and drive deeper
in your denial of the "other side's" points.

I've observed this situation unfold far too often in free software:
at least it hinders progress, and at worst it destroys friendships.

Don't let us get there.

Cheers
-- tomás