Re: git-send-email

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git-send-email
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:12:17 +0300

> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 17:38:23 +0200
> Cc: schwab@linux-m68k.org, alan@idiocy.org, hi-angel@yandex.ru,
>  stefan@marxist.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> FWIW, git-send-email adds a pretty explicit header[1] to inform
> recipients of how the message was produced.

My email setup hides all X-* headers when it displays messages,
because those headers are just noise, and AFAIK are not generally
meant for human consumption.  (There's a command to toggle their
display, but doing that is another nuisance.  Also, a typical message
coming from debbugs has about a dozen X-* headers, so again,
discovering that one header is not easy and calls for careful reading
of boring content, better avoided.)

> OTOH I also see that projects working with git-send-email seem to be
> none worse for the wear[2].

So do we, see CONTRIBUTE.  We just ask that git-send-email be used
after formatting the patch explicitly, so that all its decorations
appear in the email body.  If nothing else, this facilitates including
unrelated discussions with the patch without risking them winding up
in the repository.