Re: git-send-email

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: git-send-email
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 11:51:33 -0700

I mildly prefer patches sent via 'git send-email' to those sent via attachments,
as I can review the patch directly without having to do any extra manipulation
to see it. When I want to feed the patch to git (which is less common than
reviewing it), I can easily save the message into a file and then run 'git am'.

> how do I know it's in a proper format to be
> processed correctly by Git?

That problem exists independently of whether the message is sent as-is, or is
put into an attachment. That is, "How does one know whether the attachment is in
the proper format?" is no easier to answer than "How does one know the entire
message is in the proper format?".

There are indeed problems with email-sending agents that munge bytes when
sending patches directly. But 'git send-email' is not one of those agents.

Are you using Gnus to process these messages? Perhaps Gnus could be improved to
make this job easier?