Re: git-send-email

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: git-send-email
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:59:37 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> My email setup hides all X-* headers when it displays messages,
> because those headers are just noise, and AFAIK are not generally
> meant for human consumption.  (There's a command to toggle their
> display, but doing that is another nuisance.  Also, a typical message
> coming from debbugs has about a dozen X-* headers, so again,
> discovering that one header is not easy and calls for careful reading
> of boring content, better avoided.)

Fair enough.  Should the wave of git-send-email contributions turn out
to be unstoppable, at least the existence of this header means it won't
be too hard to write a function to automate this check ;)

>> OTOH I also see that projects working with git-send-email seem to be
>> none worse for the wear[2].
>
> So do we, see CONTRIBUTE.  We just ask that git-send-email be used
> after formatting the patch explicitly, so that all its decorations
> appear in the email body.  If nothing else, this facilitates including
> unrelated discussions with the patch without risking them winding up
> in the repository.

Mmm, now that you mention it, I'm confused.  Here's what we say in
CONTRIBUTE:

> To email a patch you can use a shell command like 'git format-patch -1'
> to create a file, and then attach the file to your email.  This nicely
> packages the patch's commit message and changes.  To send just one
> such patch without additional remarks, you can use a command like
> 'git send-email --to=bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org 0001-DESCRIPTION.patch'.

I just tried to git-send-email --to=myself a patch file generated from
git-format-patch, and the email I received looks just like what
Konstantin sent to the bug list, i.e.

- the commit's summary line in the Subject field,

- the rest of the commit message at the top of the body,

- some fluff between the "---\n" and "diff --git" lines (a diffstat
  added by git-format-patch; I could have added more comments there,
  like Konstantin did),

- the diff,

- no attachment.

I must be missing something.  How do our instructions differ from what
Konstantin did?  Indeed he ran git-send-email without running
git-format-patch first, but AFAICT this additional step does not change
the end result?