Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 09:46:22 -0400

>> The correct solution is to give the function an optional argument
>> and an interactive spec which provides a non-nil value for that argument
>> in interactive calls.
> I already do that where it makes sense (e.g. to show a message).

I think you misunderstand: it makes sense everywhere where it
technically *can* be used.

There are still circumstances where `called-interactively-p` is
necessary (typically in cases where the arglist cannot be extended with
a new argument (mostly because it already uses `&rest`), or in advice),
but it's rare.

> I have no objection to Emacs having declared `interactive-p' obsolete
> (well, I kinda do, but not much, and it's not important at all).
>
> I object to Emacs _removing_ it.  I see no reason for that.  And no
> one has given a reason, so far.

You know the reason: because it's obsolete and deprecated.

        Stefan