RE: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 07:20:57 -0700 (PDT)

> I think we are miscommunicating.  You seem to be talking about
> called-interactively-p.  I am talking about making your function take
> an optional argument.

What "your function" are you talking about?
This is about the standard Emacs function
`interactive-p'.

What optional argument would you have it take,
and why?  And how would that solve the problem
of existing calls to `(interactive-p)'?

But yes, it does sound like we've perhaps
miscommunicated.

`interactive-p' has existed since nearly Day
One.  `called-interactively-p' was introduced
to replace/"fix" it - presumably instead of
fixing it directly by adding an optional arg
and leaving the default behavior (no arg) as is.

And `interactive-p' was declared obsolete.
I have no problem with that declaration, even
if I'd have preferred to see `interactive-p'
fixed directly (previous paragraph).

My only request is to not remove `interactive-p'.
My request is to please leave it "obsolete".