Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 20:10:17 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: rpluim@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 12:49:26 -0400
>
> For me, the purpose of such a list of features is to help the user
> figure out whether a given problem comes from their config or from the
> Emacs build itself.

I don't see how this can be done in principle.  There are too many
factors that affect the final outcome, and telling which ones are due
to the build and which are due to the run-time environment not
directly related to the build, is night impossible, certainly by
running a few naïve tests.

I believe that you are still thinking about Posix platforms, where any
feature compiled in should be automatically available, but this thread
is not about a general-purpose facility, it's about w32-specific
facility, where things are more complex.