Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 19:49:01 +0200

>> we have a quite heavy group of Emacs users and the
>> normal work flow is to connect to many hosts over X11
>> with one Emacs window for each host.
>
> FWIW, I agree that showing the remote host is important.
>
> That fits in with my call for privileging specific info
> over general info.  For someone who never connects to
> a remote host, the system name is typically general info,
> common to all frames.  For someone who connects remotely
> it's specific info.
>
> I'd suggest that remote host be shown by default, but
> if not remote then the system not be shown by default.

There is the package tramp-theme in GNU ELPA. With its default values,
it decorates modelines depending on whether the buffer is remote or not,
it shows the remote hostname, and alike. Other customizations (buffer
colors, fringe colors, etc) are possible. Could be easily extended for
frame titles.

(Advertisement alert: I'm the author of that package.)

Best regards, Michael.