Re: bug archiving policy

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: bug archiving policy
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 13:24:09 +0300

* Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> [2020-12-06 13:16]:
> On 2020-12-06 03:52, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> > (Cc to Bastien.)
> >
> > Although the org-mode maintainers do read emacs-devel and bug-gnu-emacs
> > with some frequency, most subscribers are not org-mode experts.
> >
> > I would therefore recommend sending org-mode patches directly to the
> > org-mode mailing list: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org.  This makes sure it is
> > seen by the competent and helpful org-mode hackers.  In most cases, I
> > don't think there is any need to also open a bug against Emacs.
>
> Your comments were points of discussion in the org-mode thread that I
> referenced. See there, but in part, that list requires one to first
> subscribe and become a member in order to post to the list, which is a
> barrier to entry for bug reporters not committed to be developers or
> insiders, and the method is inconsistent with other parts of emacs-core
> and thus unexpected for users. The thread also addressed issues of
> maintainabilty, bug-tracking, and other useful and constructive
> comments. Do see there.

I can fully relate to that problem and in last months we have seen few
users having similar issue.

Issue related to specific bug should be, in my opinion, be handled
automatically by the mailing list software. I think it is handled so,
but I am not sure. Bug submitter should always get the update to the
bug regardless if other people put such in the message Cc: carbon copy
field (where is the carbon?)

I am not sure if Org mailing list is setup that way. But you may try
with {M-x org-submit-bug-report RET} which also has its menu item
under Org menu.

You may also open up this issue straight in that mailing list.

Question is if such bug would be reported back to you if users do not
conduct Group-Reply option in ther email software. That would not be
useful to rely on many people with many email software to be explicit
how to answer the bug. If they miss it one time, you miss the update.