package-quickstart: How To Debug?

From: T.V Raman
Subject: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 10:10:33 -0800 (PST)

I've been using  emacs with early-init.el containing (setq
package-quickstart t)
for a while now. All was well until last night when:

1. After updating packages as usual, all seemed well, but the next
   emacs restart failed  with a strange error.

   2. It errors out loading package-quickstart  with some error about
      marshall and eieio.

      3. If I remove the package-quickstart.el[c] files, and restart
         emacs, then emacs starts fine, since there is no
         package-quickstart to load I guess. However once that file is
         regenerated, the next restart of Emacs fails.

         Interestingly, loading the quickstart file after emacs has
         started successfully doesn't error out, i.e.

         A. remove package-quickstart.el[c]
            B. Restart emacs (with package-quickstart set to t)
               C. Either force the package-quickstart to be generated
                  by calling package-quickstart-refresh, or waiting a
                  while
                  D. In the still running emacs (load-file
                     package-quickstart.el) succeeds -- no errrors

                     E. Now, kill emacs and restart --- emacs startup
                        fails.

--

Thanks,

--Raman