Re: A tip: how to display longer function names in profiler-report

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: A tip: how to display longer function names in profiler-report
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 17:34:12 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 19:15:42 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 16:32:21 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > The variable which controls the widths of the comment name, number of
> > samples, and percentage columns is profiler-report-cpu-line-format.
> > It's default value is:

> >     ((50 left) (24 right
> >                ((19 right) (5 right))))

> > , which codes column sizes of 50, 19, and 5.  The 5 (for percentage) is
> > OK.  50 (defun name) is too small.  19 (number of samples) is too big -
> > that is broad enough to count up to 10^16 seconds, of the order of the
> > age of the universe.

> Isn't it also used for the "memory" profile?

No, it's not.  (See below.)

> in that case the numbers are much larger in magnitude.  So perhaps we
> should use 2 different values for that variable (and I wouldn't worry
> about the one used for "memory" profile, since it shouldn't be used on
> any modern platform).

There's already a separate variable for the memory profile,
profiler-report-memory-line-format.  I've never used the memory profile,
so I don't know if profiler-report-memory-line-format's value is
similarly annoying.  I suspect not.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).