Re: A tip: how to display longer function names in profiler-report

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: A tip: how to display longer function names in profiler-report
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 18:52:33 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 20:12:32 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 17:34:12 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > > Isn't it also used for the "memory" profile?

> > No, it's not.  (See below.)

> Then how about changing the value to be better suited to the actual
> width of the fields?  E.g., just use the value you came up with?  Are
> there any downsides?

The values I am trying out give a width of 84 characters.  That would be
intolerable for somebody on an 80 char. wide window.

It seems we either want another configurable option, or Stefan K.'s idea
of using tabulated-column-mode, which would allow the column widths to
be adjusted dynamically.  But even in the latter case, we'd probably
still want a config option for the initial column widths.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).