Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary file

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary files)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 16:11:46 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-12-25 15:09]:
> And your solutions are lacking, even by your own account.  You have
> just complained elsewhere that using ps-print (which you say is the
> solution for the "printing" part of WP) doesn't allow you to control
> the place where each line is wrapped.  In addition, ps-print's support
> for non-Latin-1 scripts is extremely poor (needs a lot of configuring
> and looks ugly on paper).  And I don't even want to start talking
> about R2L scripts.

Yes, I said that it would be good to have the formula that makes
it. The only reason to use Emacs ps-print-buffer-with-faces would be
to print those enriched-mode notes that I have.

Otherwise I use LaTeX and I can fit it as I wish and use any
editor. Me personally I do not seek to use Emacs as word
processor. Word processors are waste of time. LaTeX and similar
systems like I mentioned LyX and TeXmacs they compute for me the
spaces, positions, indexes, item number. I would not like switching
from that position where I do not think about things computer should
think for me into position to do those things myself in a word
processor.

Document processor is fine, word processor is not useful
personally.

Libreoffice I open from time to time when I need to see somebody's
presentation, or to make my own poster, or to make multiplication
table for children. My use of it can be replaced with Gimp or with
Inkscape. For anything document related I am using LaTeX or Org mode
for simpler representations. Letters, faxes, agreements, books is by
LaTeX, simple projects of 50-100 pages is by Org mode.

Look at description here that applies to TeXmacs and to Emacs using
Org mode or LaTeX: https://www.lyx.org/

,----
| LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing
| based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM) and not simply
| their appearance (WYSIWYG).
|
| LyX combines the power and flexibility of TeX/LaTeX with the ease of
| use of a graphical interface. This results in world-class support for
| creation of mathematical content (via a fully integrated equation
| editor) and structured documents like academic articles, theses, and
| books. In addition, staples of scientific authoring such as reference
| list and index creation come standard. But you can also use LyX to
| create a letter or a novel or a theatre play or film script. A broad
| array of ready, well-designed document layouts are built in.
|
| LyX is for people who want their writing to look great, right out of
| the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting details, “finger
| painting” font attributes or futzing around with page boundaries. You
| just write. On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed
| output — or richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced —
| looks like nothing else .
`----

I do not want to think of formatting and positions, page boundaries,
etc. I want to tell what I mean and that I get the result.

Word processors never delivered it.

Emacs with LaTeX, LaTeX with any editor, Lout, Org mode, LyX deliver
what user wish and want.

Going back to word processor is regression for me, not progress.