Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary file

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary files)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 22:28:03 +0100

On Fri 25 Dec 2020 at 16:11, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-12-25 15:09]:
>> And your solutions are lacking, even by your own account.  You have
>> just complained elsewhere that using ps-print (which you say is the
>> solution for the "printing" part of WP) doesn't allow you to control
>> the place where each line is wrapped.  In addition, ps-print's
>> support for non-Latin-1 scripts is extremely poor (needs a lot of
>> configuring and looks ugly on paper).  And I don't even want to start
>> talking about R2L scripts.

So far I have similar limitations in emacs-pdf but I would like to
improve that.

> Yes, I said that it would be good to have the formula that makes
> it. The only reason to use Emacs ps-print-buffer-with-faces would be
> to print those enriched-mode notes that I have.

When I tried enriched-mode I did not figure out how to use it.

If I implemented pdf-buffer-with-faces what kind of formatting stuff
would you find important?

> Libreoffice I open from time to time when I need to see somebody's
> presentation

You can do that in Emacs already.  Using emacs-framebuffer should work
automatically out of the box.  Using doc-view or pdf-tools might need
extra conversion to pdf.