Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 11:34:23 +0200

>> This has been discussed many times, and the most promising solution is
>> to add a single variable that will define whether the user prohibits
>> changing the definitions of traditional keys.
>
> I don't think that's a feasible solution -- some changed keybindings are
> fine (because nobody are using them) and some are annoying.  The only
> way to find out which is which is to try and see whether somebody says
> "eep".
>
> And it seems like we've gotten three "eep"s on this one, so I think it's
> time to admit that this one didn't work out, and restore the old
> keybinding.  (And move the new functionality to some new key binding.)

To tell the truth, after making this change I noticed that I have the same
habit of using 'C-s M-y' to get the last kill ring entry.  But I quickly
relearned it because objectively 'C-s C-y' is a better keybinding to do
the same - you don't need to press a different key modifier.

Such changes of keybindings are not something new: in 2011 we changed
'C-s M-y' from 'isearch-yank-kill' to 'isearch-yank-pop', and also
in 2011 changed 'C-s C-y' from 'isearch-yank-line' to 'isearch-yank-kill'
that was a more fundamental change.

Of course, if after trying 'C-s C-y', you'd still prefer the old 'C-s M-y',
we could revert this change, but this would be a step backwards.