Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 11:08:15 +0100

On 30.12.20 10:32, Juri Linkov wrote:
Ok, since everyone wants the old keybinding back, I'll restore
isearch-yank-pop to old code, and also add a new command
'isearch-yank-from-kill-ring', but unbound because there is
no free key in isearch-mode.
Not everyone and it is definitely not logical.
Thanks, now I see that not everyone wants the old keybinding back.
Maybe then on every use of old command we could display a message
that will suggest to use a better keybinding 'C-y' because to
hold the Control key, then type 's' and 'y' is easier than to
hold the Control key, type 's', release the Control key,
hold the Meta key, type 'y'.  Then later we could bind
the new command to 'M-y' again.

With the old behavior could circle through kill-ring, in order to select the right one for C-s

Now get the kill-ring-buffer, which feels kind of distracting. I.e., if circling, commonly know what I'm looking for, don't need a buffer displayed.

After all, old behavior just feels more convenient.