RE: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 09:25:20 -0800 (PST)

> > And it seems like we've gotten three "eep"s on this one, so I think it's
> > time to admit that this one didn't work out, and restore the old
> > keybinding.  (And move the new functionality to some new key binding.)
>
> To tell the truth, after making this change I noticed that I have the same
> habit of using 'C-s M-y' to get the last kill ring entry.  But I quickly
> relearned it because objectively 'C-s C-y' is a better keybinding to do
> the same - you don't need to press a different key modifier.
>
> Such changes of keybindings are not something new: in 2011 we changed
> 'C-s M-y' from 'isearch-yank-kill' to 'isearch-yank-pop', and also
> in 2011 changed 'C-s C-y' from 'isearch-yank-line' to 'isearch-yank-kill'
> that was a more fundamental change.
>
> Of course, if after trying 'C-s C-y', you'd still prefer the old 'C-s M-y',
> we could revert this change, but this would be a step backwards.

Personally, I use `C-s C-y' as a prefix key for
several different yank commands.  So that's another
reason I'm not in favor of moving the longstanding
`C-s M-y' behavior to `C-s C-y'.

(And with luck Emacs itself might someday want to
use `C-s C-y' as a prefix key for yank commands.)

For users, reverting this change "would be a step
backwards" only in the sense of reverting an
unsolicited step backward.