Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 01:44:42 -0500

  > You defined C-g, C-q, C-r, C-s, C-w and C-y in 1985 (or perhaps earlier).

When we changed to RET to exit, did we also change C-y to M-y?
I do have a memory of using M-y years ago to yank the last kill
into a search, and choosing M-y for that precisely because
using it to exit the search was pointless (since it would always
get an error after a search).

I remembered those keys because they were so prominent and so natural
that they stuck in my mind.  Also, C-q in search was comparable to C-q
in insertion.

  > C-h has also been bound in the meantime, but you can still exit isearch
  > with C-h as you would have done it in 1985, for instance with C-h C-g, or
  > C-h f.  IIUC the only difference is that C-h k now describes the key in
  > isearch-mode-map instead of the key in global-map.

  > Likewise, C-x has been bound in the meantime, to allow C-x 8 RET, but you
  > can still exit isearch with C-x as you would have done in 1985, for
  > instance with C-x C-f or C-x b.

  > Likewise, C-u has been bound in the meantime, to allow arguments to
  > subcommands, but again you can still exit isearch with C-u as you would
  > have done in 1985, for instance with C-u C-b or C-u C-n.

I did not know that.  Thanks for telling me.

But is there really nothing else now?  I have a nonspecific memory
of seeing discussion of various new key bindings in search.

--
Dr Richard Stallman