Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 00:14:09 -0500

  > 1. We could provide a key in `isearch-mode-map', by
  >    default, that shows that info, and that continues
  >    searching normally when you hit some other key.

This might be good if it does not deny one more key
for exiting the search.

  > 2. We could provide behavior similar to that of Icicles
  >    key completion or `which-key.el' but adapted to handle
  >    Isearch.

What would that look like?  Can you make a mock-up?

  > 3. Provide such on-the-fly key help in some other way.

It would be easy to display a message like
  All but C-g C-h C-q C-r C-s  C-x 8 RET  C-w C-y C-\ C-^ M-n M-p M-s M-% C-M-d
C-M-i C-M-y C-M-z C-M-% exit
except that it it is too wide for the screen.

By the way, this shows how many keys which used to exit the seach and
thn execute have been redefined over the years to do something else.
I was sure there were more than the few someone showed me from 1992 or so.

--
Dr Richard Stallman