Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: chad
Subject: Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 18:38:57 -0800

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> wrote:
> Just switch the direction by the prefix arg '-'.  Its handling could be
> easily implemented.  It seems better to extend repeat.el to allow using
> the last key of the last command, add handling of universal arguments,
> and all this without using add-advice and hooks.

IMO it is would be much better to map the existing repeat command to a
single keystroke, it would make any command repeatable without changing
anything else, and it already handles universal arguments.  I think C-=
would be the best key for this: not only is "=" a good mnemonic for "same
command", but it is also next to the "-" key to change the direction.

I played with a version of Juri's patch that bound "." to repeat the repeatable command, and then tried to implement "," to that command passed -1, but I had a little trouble getting it to DTRT, and then got sidetracked by a version that used #'repeat instead of this-command.

I mention this mostly to say that the actual ui of last key/./, was pretty nice in my testing.

~Chad