RE: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 07:54:46 +0000

Why on earth would we want to sacrifice two keys by default: one for repeatable `other-window' and one for non-repeatable?

[...]

But default bindings for both repeatable and non-repeatable would be a ridiculous waste (IMHO). to the beginning of the previous line...

My proposal is not to bind C-= to a repeatable other-window, which would indeed be ridiculous.

It is to bind C-= to the existing "repeat" command, which is already in Emacs, does what has been suggested in this thread (repeat the last command with its argument, display a message in echo area, and handle universal argument), but is I believe underused. It needs to be bound to a single keystroke to be used at its full power: otherwise it is not possible to change the prefix argument between two repeats.

I expected that this C-= binding would not please everyone, for example because some already bind it to another command. This would be the case with virtually any possible key binding. But it's only a default binding, and those who already use C-= for another purpose, or would not like that binding for one reason or another, can bind "repeat" to something else.