Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 12:45:11 -0500

> Users might not want some file suddenly turn on a mode the user didn't
> intend to use.  I don't understand what else there is to explain here,
> really.

I thought you were talking about modes being defined, for which I don't
see any harm.  But indeed, the changes to `auto-mode-alist` imply
a change in behavior which could I guess be annoying (especially since
those modes are quite primitive).

My problem was with conditionally defining the modes, not with
conditionally activating them.  So if we restore the config var but make
it apply only to the `auto-mode-alist` changes, then I think we'll all
be happy.

Stefan K, could you do that?

        Stefan