Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:18:09 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  gregory@heytings.org,
>   Stephan.Mueller@microsoft.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 22:04:05 +0100
>
> > RET is supposed to be bound to `newline` by default, pretty
> > much everywhere.  There are many modes which still bind RET to
> > `newline-and-indent`, but that's a historical accident that we should
> > fix because it disregards the user's choice to enable or disable
> > `electric-indent(-local)-mode`.
>
> And I had a
>
> (global-set-key "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)
>
> at 3% in my .emacs file, which makes about 15 years old, I think, and I
> had no idea that it was there.

I think this is because originally C-j was bound to newline-and-indent
(and RET to newline).  newline-and-indent is very handy in editing in
PL modes, but keyboards with a separate LFD key are long gone.  So
when the modern keyboards became omnipresent, people tended to rebind
RET to newline-and-indent, so that (a) that could invoke it easily and
naturally, and (b) to work similarly to the few other editors that had
such a functionality.

But then came the electric-indent thingy, and the simple world we had
then was lost forever...