Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 02:12:51 +0300

On 09.04.2021 08:56, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I can imagine cases which pretty much*need*  selection-like
interface. xref-show-definitions-completing-read would be one
example (it's relatively awkward to make the choice using
completion, though certainly not impossible).
I don't think I understand how xref-show-definitions-completing-read
is different from, say, read-file-name.  Can you explain?

We've touched on this previously in the poll/discussion about the default:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-01/msg00029.html

The values which xref-show-definitions-completing-read asks you to choose from are relatively complex, and hard to type out.

Further, there's often only 2-3 values to choose from (in the Elisp's case, at least), so choosing the first one should be a frequent enough occasion.

With a selection-based menu you look at all options and make a choice: often just press RET; maybe press TAB, or C-n, or <down> a few times before that.

With completing-read, you have to press TAB first, to see the choices, and then type some of your choice's contents, keeping in mind perhaps its distinguishing characteristics. That's simply more effort than the other approach.

File name completion is different because you're not as likely to simply choose the first option, there can be a *lot* of files in the dir, and typing an average file name is much easier.

Mind you, I generally prefer completion UIs that show the options before you start typing, but xref-show-definitions-completing-read makes a really strong case for it. Which is unfortunate, because otherwise it's my #1 choice for xref-show-definitions-function's default value, and changing Emacs's completion UI is not in the cards in any near future.

So I would only be happy if you disagree with this assessment.