Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 14:12:53 +0300

On 25.04.2021 02:48, Stefan Kangas wrote:

The easiest way of fixing it is to change the separator to "\s\t"
instead of just "\t".  It would be slightly less clean I guess, but
since the screen is modal I suppose most people will never notice the
difference.  WDYT?

Sure. I don't see a downside.

- Not a regression, old problem:

Instructions say "Type ..., or SPC or DEL to scroll".

But DEL here is actually <backspace>. If I just press Delete on the
keyboard, help-for-help exits instead of scrolling.

And the target audience of help-for-help is probably at least as
ignorant as myself about the difference between DEL and Delete.

As you say, this is an old problem.  For example `C-h k <backspace>'
here gives a help screen that cryptically says "DEL (translated from
<backspace>)".  I suppose most users have no idea what that means, other
than some vague notion that "DEL is clearly just the same as backspace".

I would prefer that <backspace> would just be printed as such,
everywhere.  I'm guessing there are historical reasons for why this
isn't already the case.  It would be great if we could fix this.

It's an implementation detail which leaks from the terminal keyboard support, which only supports a reduced set of keys.

IIUC, DEL is an ASCII code which backspace translates to on the terminal. You can also input it in a different way, e.g. by pressing C-? (on a terminal).

In a graphical frame, there is also <backspace> event which Emacs translates to DEL by default, but one can set different binding for it, even though that's inadvisable.

To sum up, there is a technical complexity to that problem, not just "old timers will hate change", so I'd leave that to a separate discussion, at least. With related <return>/RET and <tab>/TAB distinctions that Eli mentioned as well, which have caused their share of problems too.