Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 16:24:16 +0300

> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 13:16:33 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru, stefan@marxist.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> What about adding (define-key map [delete] 'scroll-down-command) to
> >> help-map?
> >
> > Isn't that what Dmitry suggested above?
>
> Whoops, yes, indeed, I wrote too fast.  If that would be a horribly wrong
> change

I'm sorry, what I wrote there wasn't meant to call Dmitry's suggestion
"horribly wrong".  Although I realize how it could be easily read that
way, and I'm sorry for not paying attention to that reading.

Here's the relevant part of that exchange:

> > I would prefer that <backspace> would just be printed as such,
> > everywhere.
>
> You can't, because not every keyboard has that key.  And because users
> still can confuse that with the BS (a.k.a. "C-h") key.  And because we
> have normal-erase-is-backspace-mode.
>
> > > Perhaps the easiest fix would be to handle Delete same as Backspace here.
> >
> > Yes, that could alleviate the problem in this particular case.
>
> Please don't, that would be a horribly wrong change.  Like making C-f
> move backwards.

What I consider to be "horribly wrong" is to replace DEL _everywhere_
by <Backspace>, which was the original suggestion above.  I don't
object to handling <Delete> like DEL in this particular case,
especially since we already did that, since long ago, and it somehow
regressed.