Re: DEL vs Backspace

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: DEL vs Backspace
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 20:50:31 +0300

On 25.04.2021 20:25, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Still, as modes start changing their keymaps to place bindings on
`backspace` we'll end up with situations where a minor modes has
a mapping for DEL and the major mode has a different mapping for
`backspace` and they'll end up chosen based on the incidental "tty or
GUI?" distinction rather than based on the minor modes bindings's
precedence over major modes's.

Basically something we've had in the other direction, but ironed out over the years (often by having minor modes bind both <tab> and <TAB>).

Perhaps if TAB -> <tab> (and other such translations) were only enabled in the terminal, that would remove the incentive to use TAB, DEL and RET bindings for this purpose.

But that will only work after the transition period is over.