Re: Emacs CLA requirement

From: Greg Farough
Subject: Re: Emacs CLA requirement
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:09:19 -0400

On Wed, Jun 16 2021, Adam Tack <adam.tack.513@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not wish to blame anybody -- you could argue that if I had been a
> more dedicated contributor then I'd have followed up on the CLA (which
> I have now very belatedly done).  My point is that the CLA is an
> additional burden and friction, of a different type -- I personally
> find bureaucracy off-putting in a way that I didn't find the e-mail
> workflow, updating the Texinfo manual, adding News entries or writing
> informative git commit messages.

I understand that the CLA process can be irritatingly bureaucratic and
time consuming, but I don't mind dealing with a little bureaucracy if
it ensures that the program's freedom can be defended adequately if
the need ever arises.

And although I wish that the process would move faster, it also
(accidentally) serves as a way to make sure contributors share the GNU
Project's goals. Someone who recognizes the importance of the CLA
process from a freedom point of view has a higher chance of being more
patient with it than someone who isn't.

(Some necessary disclaimers: the FSF is my employer and I don't have
any code in Emacs. This is just my personal 2ยข.)

-g

--
"We carry a new world here, in our hearts. That world is growing in
this minute."