Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:45:45 +0300

* Antoine Kalmbach <ane@iki.fi> [2021-07-26 12:36]:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Alternatively, don't GNU Mailutils support Maildir?  If they do, you
> > could use their 'movemail' instead of the one that comes with Emacs.
> >

> This is how I use Rmail, by using Maildir and GNU Mailutils. Rmail
> supports Maildir just fine if one installs GNU Mailutils, it will
> automatically do this if you configure an inbox using 'maildir://...'
> and you have GNU Mailutils installed.

Maybe you think it will support mbox after conversion from Maildir.

Maildir has directory structure:

~/Maildir/my-folder-1/tmp
~/Maildir/my-folder-1/cur
~/Maildir/my-folder-1/new

~/Maildir/my-folder-2/tmp
~/Maildir/my-folder-2/cur
~/Maildir/my-folder-2/new

and I see no trace in RMAIL library to support that directory
structure.

This library supports maildir:

;; Author: Nic Ferrier <nferrier@ferrier.me.uk>

What would mean "supporting Maildir"?

- detecting if directory is Maildir directory;

(defun cf-dir-is-maildir-p (dir)
  "Verifies if the directory is maildir"
  (let* ((main-dir-p (file-directory-p dir))
         (new (concat dir "/new"))
         (new-dir (file-directory-p new))
         (tmp (concat dir "/tmp"))
         (tmp-dir (file-directory-p tmp))
         (cur (concat dir "/cur"))
         (cur-dir (file-directory-p cur)))
    (if (and main-dir-p new-dir tmp-dir cur-dir) t nil)))

- being able to generate file names according to Maildir
  specifications, and store messages

- to delete messages, to copy messages from one Maildir to other, and
  possibly to other formats; minor functions;

- to list messages in Maildir, provide threading if possible, this is
  probably largest part; tabulated-list-mode would be good option for this;

- to compose (built-in) while making sure that message is stored into
  Maildir, that could involve some adjustments to mail- and message- modes

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman