Re: Async rebuild package-quickstart after packages update? was Re: 28.0

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Async rebuild package-quickstart after packages update? was Re: 28.0.50; Proposal: slightly more efficient package-quickstart.el
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 10:24:29 -0400

> Starting "emacs -batch" with user settings could easily fail, since
> many settings in the init files are for interactive sessions, and will
> signal errors when done in batch mode.

Even without these concerns, there's the fact that `emacs --batch`
implies `-q` and that undoing/overriding this `-q` is not trivial if we
want to do it faithfully.  I think it might require changes to
`startup.el` to better expose the code that selects and loads the init
file(s).

As for the risk of those init files burping, maybe we can "live with it"
and claim it to be a pilot error: either the users fix their init files
or they can't use `package-quickstart`.  Luckily for us, daemon mode has
made it a bit less common for init files to fail in batch mode, because
if they do, they will also fail in daemon mode.

        Stefan