Re: xterm [menu] key definition

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: xterm [menu] key definition
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 14:52:50 +0200

Hi Eli:

I saw your latest change in d54ffa25bd297f9bc5791 to bind the
context-menu to [apps] on windows. I am wondering because AFAIK it is
the same physical key right?

Should we do an if-else maybe?

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: spacibba@aol.com,  juri@linkov.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 18:41:59 -0400

> Yes.  Which is why I wouldn't recommend touching it with a 3-mile pole.

I took it as a dare and thus pushed Ergus's proposed change (duly
decorated with a bit of the story behind it).

It would be nicer if you asked first, FWIW.

It's true that it may break someone's habits somewhere but I think the
new binding at least has the virtue of having a documented justification
for it, and it may prove beneficial to a few other users.

Given the amount of discussion it raised, it feels like it deserves
a NEWS entry, yet when I tried to write it I ended up with:

    ** The escape sequence '\e[29~' in xterm is now mapped to 'menu'
    Xterm sends this sequence for both 'F16' and 'Menu' keys.
    It used to be mapped to 'print' but we couldn't find a terminal
    that uses this sequence for any kind of 'Print' key.

which seems so obscure that I'm not sure it's more helpful than harmful.
Opinion?

Always good to have that, but it keeps silent about the main part:
what and where is that "Menu" key on a modern keyboard?