Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 21:47:02 -0400

  > C-M-- to redo. One-modifier difference.

  > Though in my testing I had to bind C-M-_ instead.

That's right.  You can type C-M--, but it really turns into C-M-_.
Same for C--; it really turns into C-_.

  > I wonder if we should add some mechanism to detect that the user had
  > called undo-redo in the current session, and then one of his/her undo-s
  > is going to perform a "redoing" undo

You're trying to solve a problem, but I'm not sure precisely what.  I
think we've made different assumptions and thus are miscommunicating.

My idea was to have two options, undo-only and undo-redo, with a way
for the user to select one.  Initially the default would continue to
be undo-only.  We would ask users try undo-redo; if they generally
like it, we could change the default later to undo-redo.

It looks like you're presuming something different (though I am not
sure what it is) and proposing a DWIM feature for it, but I can't tell.
Would you please spell out both what behavior you're presuming, and
what behavior you propose instead?