Re: Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missing from autoload object

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missing from autoload object
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:38:00 -0400

> Indeed. My thoughts were to read .elc when avialable,

I'm not sure you're familiar with the way it works for functions, but
basically the docstring is replaced by a "pointer" that's a cons cell
that combines the name of the file from which the function was loaded
together with an integer indicating at which byte-offset the docstring
can be found (the filename string is the same string used in all the
docstring of that file as well as the string used in `load-history`, in
terms of memory cost, it only really costs a single con-cell).
So there'd be no need for "when available" heuristic.

And all the code is already there to do the same for autoloads.
All it takes is to start compiling the autoloads files.

        Stefan