Generic autoloading? [Was Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missin

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Generic autoloading? [Was Patch: perform autoloading when docs is missing from autoload object]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:56:34 +0000

Just in case, is it possible to provide a generic autoload mechanism
that run arbitrary function to load the missing function,
instead of hardcoded to basically a REQUIRE?

This can be very helpful for my object capabilities implementation
because it can be used to support importing object graph more lazily.
(Instead of needing to traverse a full reference closure of a function,
we can stop at arbitrary function and resume traversal only when
that function is called).

Currently I can fake it with a closure that knows where it is
and replace itself once called.
But it feels like reimplementing the same thing twice.
(I think current autoload can also be implemented in pure Elisp
in this way, but we already have autoload object, so why not generalize it a
bit).

Best,
Qiantan