Re: Variable pitch mode line

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Variable pitch mode line
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 21:00:14 +0200

>>> Well, not necessarily.  If we started making HTML the preferred format
>>> for the `C-h i' etc, then they'd probably follow after a while.  And
>>> it'd be fine for some manuals to be in HTML while other remain in INFO.
>>
>> Probably not before the standalone Info reader will support HTML.
>
> Perhaps, or perhaps they'll want to have Info pages that look prettier.

I don't believe that distro packagers might want to include Info manuals
in the HTML format when only Emacs will display them but not the standalone
Info reader.

>>> But nobody's yet to make an info-html-minor mode (or a major mode a la
>>> eww building upon shr), so it's still academic.
>>
>> It can't be a mode because some Info manuals are split among several files.
>
> I don't follow the logic.  You can make a mode that covers as many
> files as you wish.

I meant this is not like the Emacs Info reader works.
It's not enough to enable Info-mode after visiting
an Info file.  At least, you need to use Info-on-current-buffer.
And still it works only on the first Info file in the sequence
of multiple Info files.