Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs

From: Aiko Kyle
Subject: Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 20:21:14 -0700

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 6:02 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Aiko Kyle <aikokyle@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think that the question of how well an xwidget obeys "the emacs
> > paradigm" depends on the content it's displaying. If it were a button
> > or some other element in a larger button, I agree that the current
> > model fits the emacs way well enough. However I think when the xwidget
> > is the only element in a buffer and takes up a large portion or even
> > the whole window, then I think the correct paradigm would resemble
> > something like doc-view, where the two widow's xwidgets can show
> > different views if they have some notion of scrolling.
>
> I think Doc View uses per-window overlays to achieve that, which you can
> also do with xwidgets.

Thanks for letting me know about per-window overlays. I think that may
be a better way to make a full-window xwidget behave closer to "the
emacs paradigm."

However what would that look like with emacs-xwidget? IIUC that would
mean instantiating multiple xwidget webkit instances, one for each
window? Then one would need to figure out how keep the appropriate
state synchronized between them? I think this may prove difficult to
figure out the right UI for since a webpage can end up being pretty
stateful and it would be surprising, for example, if a user entered
text in one webkit widget and it doesn't appear in the others. Or
worse, if one makes modification to state on one page, then kills that
window and now its lost.