Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:07:40 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>>   Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:56:01 +0100
>>
>> 3. The installer default is "c:\Program Files\Emacs" I think it would be
>>    cleaner when the installation tree includes the version number.
>
> Why?  The Emacs installation tree is designed to accommodate more than
> a single Emacs version simultaneously.  Using versioned directories
> would mean users need to tweak their PATH each time they install a new
> version, which is undesirable and unnecessary.

Stupid me, I meant Emacs' release numbers not "version" numbers!

At the moment Emacs will be installed per default into

c:\
  |- Program Files\
     |- Emacs

If you intent to install another Emacs release and forget to change the
installation directory "Emacs" then - without warning - the new release
will be installed over the old one.  Is this supposed to work for major
release numbers?

Wouldn't it be better to install Emacs in a tree with the release
numbers?

c:\
  |- Program Files\
     |- Emacs-27.1