Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:57:17 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: corwin@bru.st,  phillip.lord@russet.org.uk,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 20:22:09 +0100
>
> It'll work for the libexec\ and share\ branches.
>
> But I'm afraid, currently, not for all files in the bin\ branch, they'll
> be overwritten after a default (side-by-side?)  installation.  For
> example runemacs.exe and emacsclient.exe are then only working for the
> last installed release.

Why is that a problem?  the old versions can still be invoked, just
not via the default methods.  Which is exactly the expected result
when installing a newer version.

> For Emacs-27 there are more than 150 .exe files, moreover .dll and
> scripts in bin\.  Maybe this will work if one is installing ever newer
> releases but in the opposite case, I'm not sure..

Be sure.  I'm doing this on my system all the time.

> (But I guess few Windows users intend to run multiple Emacs releases,
> just using the latest and greatest.)

Most of them, yes.  But there's no reason to force them to remove the
old version.

> By the way.  Would you mind to tell me why an emacsclientw.exe together
> with emacsclient.exe is needed

That's explained in nt/README.

> and what emacs.pdmp is for?

That's the preloaded packages that are dumped when Emacs is built and
loaded when Emacs is started.