Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: co

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: master 6eeab90632: Don't accept whitespace or hex floats in rgbi: colour specs
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 14:56:50 +0100

6 mars 2022 kl. 14.46 skrev Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>:

> I don't see a corresponding bug report, so please forgive me if I missed
> something here.

It's bug#54263 -- sorry about the omission from the log message.

> If the leading whitespace and hex floats don't cause problems, why not
> keep the ability to understand them?  It could come in handy.

So it might seem, but over-tolerant implementation is generally a mistake. It
restricts compatibility in the other direction (what worked with Emacs won't
work elsewhere), restricts future changes and implementations, detects fewer
user mistakes, and makes documentation and specifications less useful. It's not
doing the user a service.