Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:14:06 +0200

On 2022-03-14, 16:41 +0000, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

>>> I don't know if you plan to extend the package a lot more, but couldn't
>>> this also be re-modelled into a patch for pulse.el?
>>
>> In principle yes.
>>
>> I had this discussion before regarding another small package I tried to
>> submit: lin.[1] The suggestion was to patch hl-line directly.  To cut
>> the long story short: I could not write a good patch, so we got neither
>> the patch nor the package on GNU ELPA.
>>
>> If pulsar makes sense both as a standalone package and an enhancement
>> for pulse.el (or whatever) I prefer to have both.  We can always
>> deprecate/discontinue the package when the time is right (e.g. Emacs 29
>> is the new stable).  In the meantime, a package provides the convenience
>> of being readily available.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I have no real opinion on this, I just wanted to bring it up in case you
> hadn't considered it before (and also because in this case, at least from
> what I understand the package does, it should be rather easy).

I think a standalone package and a patch for 'master' are not mutually
exclusive.  As I wrote before, we can deprecate pulsar when Emacs 29 is
the new stable and has this functionality built-in.

As for whether such a patch would be easy, I admit that I do not know
how best to implement it.  If you or anyone else can write such a patch,
please do it.

At any rate, I just published version 0.2.0 of pulsar.el.  The release
notes: <https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2022-03-16-pulsar-0.2.0/>.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com