Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 16:05:41 +0000

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

>>> In principle yes.
>>>
>>> I had this discussion before regarding another small package I tried to
>>> submit: lin.[1] The suggestion was to patch hl-line directly.  To cut
>>> the long story short: I could not write a good patch, so we got neither
>>> the patch nor the package on GNU ELPA.
>>>
>>> If pulsar makes sense both as a standalone package and an enhancement
>>> for pulse.el (or whatever) I prefer to have both.  We can always
>>> deprecate/discontinue the package when the time is right (e.g. Emacs 29
>>> is the new stable).  In the meantime, a package provides the convenience
>>> of being readily available.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I have no real opinion on this, I just wanted to bring it up in case you
>> hadn't considered it before (and also because in this case, at least from
>> what I understand the package does, it should be rather easy).
>
> I think a standalone package and a patch for 'master' are not mutually
> exclusive.  As I wrote before, we can deprecate pulsar when Emacs 29 is
> the new stable and has this functionality built-in.
>
> As for whether such a patch would be easy, I admit that I do not know
> how best to implement it.  If you or anyone else can write such a patch,
> please do it.

I guess it might depend on how many features you want to re-implement in
the core. Please don't misinterpret this, but I think that the core
functionality, pulsing a line after certain commands, could be done by
providing a single user option, with a custom setter.

Perhaps we could add a stripped down version to pulse.el and the full
package to ELPA, perhaps both referring to one another?

--
        Philip Kaludercic