Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:38:02 +0200

Hello Philip!

On 2022-03-14, 08:24 +0000, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

> Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:
>
>> Good day everyone!
>>
>> I have a small package called "pulsar".  It builds on top of pulse.el to
>> temporarily highlight the current line either on demand or automatically
>> after another function is invoked.  Regarding the latter case, a user
>> option is provided to specify the list of functions.
>>
>> Other user options set the desired face and control the duration of the
>> pulse effect.
>>
>> Please see the attached patch for elpa.git.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I don't know if you plan to extend the package a lot more, but couldn't
> this also be re-modelled into a patch for pulse.el?

In principle yes.

I had this discussion before regarding another small package I tried to
submit: lin.[1] The suggestion was to patch hl-line directly.  To cut
the long story short: I could not write a good patch, so we got neither
the patch nor the package on GNU ELPA.

If pulsar makes sense both as a standalone package and an enhancement
for pulse.el (or whatever) I prefer to have both.  We can always
deprecate/discontinue the package when the time is right (e.g. Emacs 29
is the new stable).  In the meantime, a package provides the convenience
of being readily available.

What do you think?

[1] <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-11/msg00442.html>

--