Re: master 15ac51e0fd: Merge branch 'feature/completions-customs'

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 15ac51e0fd: Merge branch 'feature/completions-customs'
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:00:49 +0800

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> IHMO this should be off by default.  It wastes a line of space in the
>> completions buffer for no real gain, and it's distracting.
>
> It used to be:
>
> ----
> Click on a completion to select it.
> In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
>
> Possible completions are:
> ----
>
> And now it's:
>
> ----
> Click on a completion to select it.
> In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
>
> 134 possible completions:
> ----
>
> So it doesn't waste any space, and it provides more information.

Hmm.  It's odd how I never noticed the first.

> I'd rather do something about the first three lines, though.  Either
> remove them completely (it's pretty self-evident that that's what you
> do in that buffer, and especially now that you get mouse/point
> highlights, indicating that things are "buttons").  Perhaps it might
> make sense to remove all four lines,

I don't think that highlighting the item at point makes it clear that
pressing RET will select the completion in question.

But the first line could be removed and replaced by a tooltip on the
individual completion items.

> and put the number of completions in the mode line instead.

Yes, the best place to put it would probably be the completion list
lighter on the mode line.

Thanks.