Re: process-file instead of call-process in proced.el?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: process-file instead of call-process in proced.el?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:46:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> The patch only changes call-process to process-file, to support file
>> handlers.  Setting "kill" into proced-signal-function is a user
>> customization.
>
> Sorry, from my POV fixing something means making it work as correctly
> as we can reasonably do.  If it didn't work correctly before, we
> should fix that as well, as part of any work on the relevant code.  I
> understand that, if the doing TRT is complicated, it could be left to
> a separate patch, but in this case it isn't complicated at all.
>
> So let's fix this part of proced to work on all supported platforms,
> okay?

I don't understand why an external "kill" process is applied. Couldn't
we simply call always `signal-process'? A comment in
`proced-send-signal' recommends this already.

Then we could give `signal-process' a handler, like `interrupt-process'
has already. (Well, we would need a mean to indicate, that a process-id
is meant for a remote host.)

Best regards, Michael.