Re: Tree-sitter api

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter api
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 06:37:56 +1300

On 2022-04-01 01:46, John Yates wrote:
As pointed out previously, the important concept
here is "tree" not "sitting".  "trees" is shorter and
perhaps more suggestive.

Unfortunately "tree" is an extremely generic term and on
its own doesn't suggest the very specific functionality
provided by tree-sitter.

"trees" just looks like the plural of "tree" rather than
"tree"+"s"[itter], and so I would expect that to be for
manipulating some general-purpose tree data structures
before I thought of "an incremental parsing library" for
programming languages.

Conversely the "sit" part of the name, whilst not
suggestive of being connected with trees of some kind,
*is* very suggestive of the actual library which is being
integrated.

I.e. tree-sitter itself may not* be about "sitting"; but
the Emacs integration is very specifically about a thing
called "tree-sitter" rather than just about trees.

(*) Or maybe it is.  I don't understand that part of the
name (and I can't find any documentation explaining it)
-- but it *is* the name.

-Phil