Re: master 9b762c35a1: Add Sefirot to Omer counting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 9b762c35a1: Add Sefirot to Omer counting
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 15:20:03 +0300

> From: Eric Brown <ecbrown@ericcbrown.com>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  eliz@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 06:34:13 -0500
>
> Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:
>
> > I don't understand why you presume the these are only of sectarian or
> > religious significance.  There may be a prejudiced value judgment here
> > based on incorrect presumptions, which ends up limiting freedom
> >

> The biblical references for the Parashat HaShavua and its Haftorah are
> definitely religious in nature.

And the Hebrew calendar itself isn't?  Where do we draw the line?

The proposal was NOT to cite those texts in Emacs, the proposal was
just to _name_ them.  Now, please tell me what is the fundamental
difference between having the string "Bereishit" in Emacs and having
the string "Rosh HaShanah" or "Yom Kippur" in Emacs?  Yom Kippur isn't
just a date, it has a very strong religious meaning, and without that
is just another day.  Or what about "Tzom Gedaliah" -- isn't that a
100% religious notion?

>From where I stand, naming or labeling dates is OK in Emacs's
calendar-related features; but _quoting_ religious texts related to
those dates is outside the scope of Emacs.  A label or a name are just
references to a thing, they aren't the thing itself (mumbles the
immortal passage from Alice in Wonderland regarding the difference
between a thing, the name of a thing, the name of the name, etc...)