Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 11:57:12 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> With so many messages on this topic, I can't see whether someone
> already tried reporting these bugs to GTK developers and saying we find
> them very painful.  Has that been tried?

Yes.  In most cases they do not want to accept the resulting changes.
In fact, they even want to delete support for X11 in its entirety.

> Have we tried patching GTK to add workarounds -- for instance,
> defining an "exit function" hook to call instead of `_exit'?
> We could distribute such patches, and they might accept the patches.

They insist that it is unsafe to call anything except for _exit, because
it is not safe to save files after the display server goes down.

It's nonsense, and it's coming from the same group of people who call
users "clowns" and "the internet peanut gallery".