Re: master df8e705eb2 1/2: Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master df8e705eb2 1/2: Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 22:33:26 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> branch: master
>> commit df8e705eb2077b62e3c3a13d0d596362c05542c7
>> Author: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
>> Commit: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
>>
>>     Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ
>
> I'm not sure this is a good idea.  The FAQ is special, unlike the rest
> of our documentation, in that it doesn't target only the version with
> which it comes.

I followed our normal obsoletion policy, where we have deleted things
after 10 years.  But I see your point.  We could perhaps decide for how
long we want to keep things, and then add a note to that effect to
efaq.texi?  That way, it'll be easier to maintain some consistency going
forward.  For example, how about adding a note to remove references to
Emacs versions released more than 15 years ago (or something like that)?

> I see no particular reason to remove those references to old versions
> from the FAQ.

Sure, I guess it's more a matter of when they're old enough to be a bit
irrelevant.  (Any feature was technically introduced in some version,
but we don't always mention it.)