Re: master df8e705eb2 1/2: Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: master df8e705eb2 1/2: Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:22:33 -0400

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022, 4:26 PM Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What would be the reason to remove references to old Emacs versions
> from the FAQ?  I'm thinking maybe we should simply exempt the FAQ from
> this process, which is, of course, perfectly valid for the other
> documentation.

The purpose is mostly just to make the text easier to read, and to make
it not look outdated.  For example, references to this new cool feature
in Emacs 21 is not likely to be very relevant or helpful in 2022.

But you may be right in general.  Maybe we should really just delete the
absolutely antique stuff.

I've come across a number of packages where the last published version still uses the cl library.  I had to download the oldest version of Emacs to get a manual for it to determine how to convert it to cl-lib.
I'm just giving a concrete illustration of why someone may have a relevant question about a very ancient feature, given the pace at which Emacs truly evicts support for obsolete features.

Lynn